We had our first experience in labor and delivery today. It was really frustrating because I went in for my 1st of two NST tests for the week at LDS Hospital and my blood sugar was high just as it has been for the past 15 years in the late morning. I now know to not schedule my NST appointments for the morning or the 45 minute appointment becomes a 4 hour ordeal. I tested before I left for the appointment to make a correction. An hour later at the appointment I had gone up instead of down so I took more. The baby's heartrate was a little high, but normal because it still had plenty of variation. Anyway, Marc was on his way home from school so he came to sit through the last of the appointment because it was longer than normal. I tested again 40 minutes later and it was even higher so the on-call doctor told me he was going to send us over to IMC at 5300 south to labor and delivery. Of course I would rather be safe than sorry. On our way to the hospital my blood sugar had gone down 60 points. Figured they were still expecting us so we should continue to go. By the time I was there it was 150. We were told we needed to wait for the resident doctor which took an hour! During that hour we heard the resident doctor say.."so why is Katherine Wasson here again?" ...after he had just been given the report. Marc and I just laughed because if we had waited 10 more minutes at LDS my blood sugar would have been under control. By this time my blood sugar was 136. When the doctor came in he tested me again and I was 91. He said I would be out of there in 10 minutes. An hour later, after waiting for another doctor...we were told we had to wait because they didn't want to send me out too low which makes sense but it was 1:45 and I hadn't eaten since 9. I was 68. I knew I was fine though because I had just eaten a granola bar and fruit snacks I found in my purse. We waited another 15 minutes...blood sugar was 86...the doctor came in, I signed some papers and we were out. Let's just hope they know a lot more about delivery than diabetes. As we were leaving Marc said, "We could have had a c-section and a baby in the amount of time that we were there!"
Good things about this experience:
- I saw what kind of room I am going to deliver in. Seems pretty nice. Maybe I will get room #17 again.
- I got 6 free lorna doone cookies which I love!
- To go snack...crakers and peanut butter.
- Got to hear her little heartbeat for a VERY long time. She still seems to be going strong.
- I'm going to go pack my bag now so we at least will have a few things ready for when we go for the real thing.
5 comments:
So frustrating! I'm glad everything worked out. Maybe you should become a labor and delivery nurse and specialize in patients with diabetes. You know WAY more than any of them!
I totally understand the frustration that comes with being sent to the hospital "just in case" and it ends up being a huge ordeal for nothing. Hang in there, you are almost done!! (And we really want to come see you and your baby when she comes!)
By the way, I really like those Lorna Doone cookies too.
Just your luck Katie, tell them if they don't behave and take care of you I will beat them up personally. And btw keeping eating those cookies and I am sure sure they will send you back to the hospital and check your blood sugar again lol.
I had a similar experience with Eliza. Of course it wasn't as long of a process as you had. They told us we were going to be enduced one day when I went in for my NST and that got us all going crazy. They ended up just putting me on bed rest, but it sure did put me into a whirl wind of emotions. Hopefully, when it is for real next time you will feel a little more ready. Good luck!
This is getting very exciting. I hope you can hold on until March 20 - the baby shower! Or, if not, you can bring the baby!
You certainly do know much more about diabetes than those "specialists" did. It was so fun to see you Sunday.
xoxocyh
Post a Comment